Westchester Square is a residential neighborhood geographically located in the eastern section of the Westchester, New York City borough of the Bronx. Starting from the north and moving clockwise, its boundaries are East Tremont Avenue and Silver Street, Blondell Avenue and Westchester Creek to the east, Waterbury Avenue to the south, and Castle Hill Avenue to the west. The main roadways through Westchester Square are East Tremont Avenue, Westchester Avenue, and Williamsbridge Road.
The village was founded about 1654 by English settlers who left New Haven Colony for Dutch New Netherland on land purchased by Thomas Pell in 1654 from the sachem Ann-hock, alias Rampage, and other Native Americans. However, the Dutch disputed his right to do so and claimed the land. The settlers followed Westchester Creek to a path behind what is now Herbert H. Lehman High School to where the Square is now. The settlement was called Oostdorp, or East Towne, and called Westchester, NY by the English settlers.
The New York City government classifies Westchester Square as part of a larger neighborhood tabulation area called Van Nest/Morris Park/Westchester Square. Based on data from the 2010 United States Census, the population of Van Nest/Morris Park/Westchester Square was 29,250, a change of 2,115 (7.2%) from the 27,135 counted in 2000. Covering an area of 829.61 acres (335.73 ha), the neighborhood had a population density of 35.3 inhabitants per acre (22,600/sq mi; 8,700/km2). The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 27.3% (7,987) White, 11.1% (3,245) African American, 0.3% (82) Native American, 10.6% (3,100) Asian, 0.1% (15) Pacific Islander, 1% (292) from other races, and 1.4% (410) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 48.3% (14,119) of the population. EZ Westchester Junk Removal
Parks and Recreation
Owen Dolen Park
It was bordered by Westchester Avenue, Lane Avenue, and Williamsbridge Road. It was recently renovated and rededicated in June 2013. The $4.72 million renovations of the park were started in September 2011. It was named after Owen Dolen, a lifelong community resident, and teacher, in 1926. Dolen had died of a heart attack a year earlier after giving a speech at the Square to unveil a granite memorial honoring neighborhood soldiers killed in World War I.
Pearly Gates Playground
The name for the Pearly Gates Playground is derived from the Christian tradition of the entranceway through which souls enter Heaven after death. The pearly gates are said to be guarded by Saint Peter, one of the founders of the Christian Church. The playground is named the Pearly Gates because of its location on St. Peter’s Avenue.
Check out other neighborhoods like Bonnie Crest